Family Mottos or The Lack Thereof

It has come to my attention that family mottos are actually something that families will create and live by. They usually seem to include some type of encouraging message such as "our family does not give up" or "return with honor". Our family never came up with a family motto but there are some unofficial ones that have been mentioned throughout my life. I don't necessarily live by them but they are kind of humorous and have brought a laugh when they are brought up. One of those mottos is one that my dad has always brought up, which is "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying". Now this is a horrible motto to live by but my dad always will bring it up probably because we don't cheat and the irony plays out when he will tell friends to have us recite what he always says. Another motto that comes from my mom is "You can marry more in a minute than you can make in a lifetime"which again is not taken very seriously. I would like to clarify that my parents are not encouraging us to become gold diggers but it us something that we will bring up if someone mentions that the person they are interested in has a good job. This is another example of a motto that we say but does not have any real meaning to it. The last motto that my mom will tell us is "Third class driving is better than first class walking" and this is something that stems from her grandpa. My mom's dad would tell her this growing up and this has continued to the next generation. This was thrown out when one of us would complain about how old the car was and my mom would tell us this because she was stressing that we should be grateful that we have transportation. This is one family motto that did have a positive effect on us because it taught my family that we should be thankful for what we have. Although these mottos are not the most uplifting, they have instilled in my family a sense of humor which can be just as vital to the family relationship. If children are aware that these types of things are not to be taken at face value, then I do not see the harm in having a little fun. I can't say that my future children will hear these types of mottos but if it slips out once or twice, I think my kids will turn out alright. Who knows, maybe someday my family will have an official motto?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Scariest thing on Halloween-Turning in my Research Paper

Friendship Formation

Dancing Through Life