It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

I can't believe that Christmas is less than a month away. This time of year is my favorite because of all the cheer and joy that seems to be present at this time. I was very happy to find the station that plays nonstop Christmas music because Christmas music is some of my favorite music. A smile always appears on my face while I'm belting out classics such as "Jingle Bell Rock" or "All I Want for Christmas is You". While some say that it doesn't feel like Christmas yet because there isn't any snow on the ground, this is not a problem for me because I grew up in Southern California and have never had a white Christmas. Some of my fondest memories come from going to the beach during Christmas break and searching for seashells. It is also very stressful because people are busy trying to get everything done for the holiday season and finals are looming but somehow the Christmas spirit overcomes this all. I hope that amid all the stress that we can remember to follow the life of who we are celebrating and see if there are ways that we can help those around us and celebrate the life of Christ.
Although this can be a very happy time for many, this is not the case for everyone. Not everyone has family that is close-knit or they may not have family at all. Although we are all busy, see if there is someone that you know or don't know that could use some of that Christmas cheer. In addition to all the fun activities I had during Christmas such as the Nutcracker and choir concerts, there were service opportunities and trips to see the temple lights that helped me focus on the true spirit of Christmas. I remember those more than the gifts that I received on Christmas day. Perhaps there should be less focus on making sure to get all the gifts and see where the busyness of December can be lessened. The commercialization of Christmas is often criticized and discussed but each year it seems to stay the same. I am not saying that it is a sin to want to watch that cheesy Hallmark movie (which I love) or that you should not get any gifts for anyone this year but maybe see where priorities can be straightened out. Maybe by willing to give a little more of our hearts, then we can understand better how the ultimate gift, our Savior, feels about us. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!
                                                
                                                   A Christmas picture of me and my older sister.

Comments

  1. That's an adorable picture of you and your sister! I thought it was very perceptive of you to point out that Christmas isn't always a happy season for everyone. I also liked your thoughts on the commercialization of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Scariest thing on Halloween-Turning in my Research Paper

Friendship Formation

Dancing Through Life