My 1st Trip to the Family Discovery Center

This past week I was able to go to the Family Discovery Center in Salt Lake City for the first time. As a resident of Southern California, home is not close for me and so I have gone to relatives that live close by for Thanksgiving for the past three years. This has given me the opportunity to do different activities during the Thanksgiving break. As the family I was with this year was from Sandy, we decided to go to Salt Lake. Unlike a good amount of young people, I really enjoy family history and so I was excited to go to the library. It is very high-tech and interactive and not as intimidating as people would think. Each person is given a tablet and there are different stations that they can dock at. Some of the stations included famous relatives, what the world was like when I was born, my heritage, and photo opportunities. There was also the option of seeing if other people at the center were related to you. I was able to take some photos as a Englishwoman and as a Scandinavian woman which looked quite silly. My family also took a black and white photo and one of us in the Alaskan wilderness.  It is pretty impressive where a green screen can take someone.
One of the stations was a couple of recording rooms. There were bigger rooms for groups and small rooms for individuals. I chose a small room to do an individual interview. The screen went through some initial questions such as my age and if I was an individual or a group to give the right kind of interview questions. Then I was recorded giving my answers that were based off of questions that appeared on the screen. Through this process I was able to think about certain aspects of my life that I don't regularly do. I am glad that I have a video of what I was like and what I thought at twenty years old.

Comments

  1. I have also been to the family discovery center and it really is a cool. I like that you have a passion for family history. It's definitely something I want to be better at. Thanks for your insights!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Scariest thing on Halloween-Turning in my Research Paper

Friendship Formation

Dancing Through Life